|Army transfer to NASA|
Short 3:42 silent film footage of the transfer of 4,000 Army employees to the newly-birthed NASA.
Keywords: Army; NASA
Downloads: 1,753 (1 review)
|Advance of health insurance (1945-1960)|
Narration regarding efforts to advance health insurance during the period 1945-1960.
Keywords: health; insurance; medicare
Downloads: 521 (1 review)
|Air Head Videos 2, Air Head Videos 3, Air Head Videos 4|
The Air Head Videos Series, Episodes 2, 3, 4. And that is all, folks! He he he!
Downloads: 5,384 (1 review)
|Another Look - Michael Wyszomierski|
Created as a final project for John Mann's "Lost and Found Film" course at Johns Hopkins University, "Another Look" uses images and audio from the Prelinger Archives to create an entirely new creation.
Keywords: prelinger; remix; reedit; reedited; loops; prelinger archives; clipfilm; lost and found film; lost and found
Downloads: 1,225 (1 review)
Airwaves is a short animation by Guy David. This is an abstract animation I created between April and October, 2005. I started working on this in late April, setting the scene in the Bryce software. Rendering the scene took from mid-May to mid-October and editing was done using iMovie in mid-October. Software used in the creation of this short animation: Bryce, iMovie. This file is available in three sizes to accommodate different web connection speeds...
Keywords: Bryce; Guy David; Abstract; Music; Music Video; Video Art; Animation
Downloads: 1,756 (1 review)
|Air Head Videos|
I was messing around on LEGO Studios and came up with this, a bunch of random videos, that resulted in a series of random videos.
Downloads: 279 (1 review)
|Big Four's Peace Meet Open Again, 1946/06/17|
(1) Bevin, Molotov, Jimmy Byrnes, France's George Bidaut meet for conference (2) 100 Years of Peace - centennial and peace arch of treaty between U.S. Canada estalishing boundary (3) Peron Takes Office - in Argentina, reviews army and navy. (partial newsreel)
Downloads: 953 (1 review)
|America Not Secure Against Brute Force Says Cordell Hull, 1940/05/15|
"Washington, DC: Cordell Hull, Secretary of State, warns Americans to re-arm, to prepare against the threat of 'brute force'! Meanwhile, Gen. John J. Pershing, head of our Army during the World War, returns to lend his weight to speeding defense measures." (sound of Hull speaking) (partial newsreel)
Downloads: 934 (1 review)
|Big 4 Resume Peace Talks, 1946/11/04|
At Waldorf Astoria in New York, Molotov and Byrnes and others meet at round table (partial newsreel).
Downloads: 768 (1 review)
|Balbo Nears American Goal, 1933/07/12|
"Chicago IL: Graphic and exclusive views of the Century of Progress Exposition as thrilled throngs watch repairs for the Italian Air Fleet making progress in the history-making flight from Italy to the United States." (some parts silent of this partial newsreel without narration).
Downloads: 1,168 (1 review)
|FDR Buys First Baby Bond, 1935/03/04|
"Washington, DC: The President launches the Government's new 'Bargain Sale' by purchasing $25 certificates of the new issue from Postmaster General Farley whil Secretary of the Treasury Morgenthau looks on." (partial newsreel)
Downloads: 999 (1 review)
|Ahoy, have any of you lot seen Sinbad?|
Swirling spirals constructed from rusty old sheet steel containing multi-coloured light bulbs fill the background and animate the entire room. A Medusa like head bulging with relays, electronics and wires controls this animation and as these relays switch sparks can be seen. Accompanying this are loud clicks that are heard throughout the room and sometimes these clicks fit uncannily to the songs sung by Elvis piped in from an old public address system...
Keywords: sinbad; installation; art; robot; peter; william; holden; robotic; machine; mechanical; sculpture; interactive; kinetic
Downloads: 9,348 (1 review)
|Abe's Job - Patrick Yonally|
A lighthearted look at the concept of "celebrity" as seen through a child's eyes with a historically-skewed perspective.
Keywords: Abraham Lincoln; Gettysbug Address; celebrity
Downloads: 434 (1 review)
|Allied Vise Tightens On Rhineland, 1944/12/07|
(1) "Strasbourg, capital of Alsace-Lorraine, is captured by the Americans and the French. Flooded canals testify to the unruly weather being encountered. Tons of heavy equipment have been left by the Nazis in their headlong retreat. And swastikas by the thousand, are trod under foot by sullen Nazi prisoners. Various villages, including Baseweiler, are bombarded, then entered. Many Yanks are wounded...
Downloads: 2,411 (1 review)
|The Atom and You - second episode|
Second in the series The Atom and You, Paramount News, March 25, 1953, shows tests conducted at Hanford, Washington, on effects of exposure of sheep and salmon to radiation; testing of radioactive dust at UCLA laboratory; the use of radioisotopes and tracer materials for detecting cancer in patients at Oak Ridge, Tennessee; the use of rays from the cobalt source at N.Y. citys Moncure Hospital, to treat cancer of the brain.
Keywords: atom; radiation; medicine
Downloads: 1,124 (1 review)
|Apollo 9: Three To Make Ready|
On this mission, astronauts Jim McDivit, Dave Scott and Rusty Scweickart focus on testing the Lunar Module, the spacecraft that will land men on the Moon, in Earth orbit. Featured are sequences of launch, rendezvous, extravehicular activity and the Earth's terrain.
Keywords: NASA; apollo; apollo 9; apollo program; moon; space race; spaceflight
Downloads: 23,887 (1 review)
|Boy meets dog|
A sign language version of the animated classic "Boy meets dog".
Keywords: children; sign language
Downloads: 2,629 (1 review)
|Axe for Turkeys, 1933/10/25|
Westley, CA: A record crop of gobblers, each of which will provide twenty persons with the 'piece de resistance' of a Thanksfiving Day Dinner, are being fattened for the feat. Unusual pictures show a monster flock that will grace the plates of 200,000 persons." - no sound
Downloads: 1,053 (1 review)
|First Pictures. Soviets Hail Space hero , 1961/04/19|
(1) Yuri Gagarin arrives at Moscow airport in his first public appearance, greeted by Khrushchev, hugged, then stands on Lenin's tomb (2) Ike's return to Pennsylvania (partial newsreel).
Downloads: 2,916 (1 review)
|At Sea, 1959/04/13|
News In Brief - USS Skipjack nuclear sub sea trials (partial newsreel)
Downloads: 2,350 (1 review)
|Flood Relief. President Inspects Area and Speeds Aid, 1955/08/25|
(1) Ike inspects flood damage in northeast after hurricane Connie, damage in billions, and the digging out begins (2) "Rebellion Spreads in North Africa" - 1700 dead fighting French soldiers in Algeria (3) Saar elections (4) train from Boston to Montreal derailed near Lowell MA (5) new Marine tank destroyer (partial newsreel)
Downloads: 2,804 (1 review)
|80th Congress Convenes, 1947/01/06|
(1) "Hears Truman Address - Washington, DC: For the first time in fourteen years, a Republican-dominated congress assembles to hear the presidential message on the state of the Union. He asks for moderate labor legislation and urges speeding of peace settlements." (2) Miami: Orange Bowl Parade (3) Bowl Games college football (4) Pasadena: Tournament of Roses (partial newsreel).
Downloads: 1,565 (1 review)
|The Arsenal For D-Day, 1944/05/08|
(1) The Arsenal For D-Day "Equipment for Invasion In a U.S.A. port we see the materials of war being feverishly loaded into vessels. Planes are lifted to the decks of bulging ships, ships that are loaded to the water line with freight for the invasion. Slowly, then, the ships converge, to set sail in convoy. In Bratain we come upon acres and acres of piled up materiel and equipment, for the invasion armies on the Second Front...
Downloads: 3,804 (1 review)
A sign language version of the animated classic " "
Keywords: children; sign language
Downloads: 1,180 (1 review)
|Explorer VI Paddle-Wheel Moon Puts Eye In The Sky, 1959/08/10|
Explorer VI, the "Paddle-Wheel Satellite" is launched by Thor-Able rocket to elliptical orbit for a year (partial newsreel)
Downloads: 1,383 (1 review)
|Blood Moon - Luxomedia|
Footage of the Lunar Eclipse on October 27, 2004 from San Francisco.
Keywords: eclipse; moon; halloween
Downloads: 5,488 (1 review)
|Anchor - Anderson Films|
This is a short piece I made on Peter Jennings Life after he died.
Keywords: The543,Anderson Films
Downloads: 429 (1 review)
|Mayor La Guardia opens Red Cross drive, 1938/11/09|
Mayor La Guardia opens Red Cross drive. (partial newsreel)
Downloads: 933 (1 review)
SS Queen Mary passenger liner on final journey from Britain to Long Beach (partial newsreel).
Downloads: 1,582 (1 review)
|Allied Convoy Battles Axis, 1942/07/13|
(1) "Mediterranean: Amazing pictures of the great air-sea battle between an Allied Convoy to Malta, and Axis forces. Allied guns fill the air with bursting steel that brings many Nazi and Italian aircraft to sudden destruction. Allied marksmen thwart suicide attack of Italian torpedo plane." - naval combat footage of attacks on the Alexandria convoy (2) Local: Scots Cheer Royalty. (partial newsreel)
Downloads: 4,406 (1 review)
|Alien TV - Thomas Bloor & Mike Peter Reed|
Fragments of visual culture mashed to the words of Thomas Bloor. Open to interpretation, closed to labelling.
Keywords: fragment; goldfish; western; experimental video; hallucination; luma composite
Downloads: 1,630 (1 review)
|Anglo-U.S. Amity. U.S.-British Pledge United Front , 1961/04/06|
1) At White House, Macmillan meets with JFK; Wise Men pose (2) Soviet films of rocket test, animals, mice, dogs; capsule parachutes to ground; high altitude test only, not space orbit (3) Siberia visited by Khrushchev, given sheep, corn (4) B-47 bomber test of remote control system (5) Bonx Zoo (6) Sports - Germany vs Holland women's soccer (complete newsreel).
Downloads: 1,794 (1 review)
|The Big Idea|
A nationally-aired promotional spot for the Wuerth Tube-Saver. The Wuerth Tube-Saver is a device that protects lamps and old vacuum tube televisions from the surge of electricity that occurs when they are powered on. This "surge protection" extends the life of the devices plugged into it. The main component of the Wuerth Tube-Saver is a Surgistor(TM), a type of thermal resistor. Both the Surgistor(TM), another invention by Mr...
Keywords: technology; advertising; invention; infomercial; tube; saver; surge; protector; television; suppressor
Downloads: 1,671 (1 review)
|Dick Whittington's cat|
A sign language version of the animated classic "Dick Whittington's cat"
Keywords: children; sign language
Downloads: 1,592 (1 review)
|Help Needy Says First Lady, 1933/11/01|
"Chicago: Impressive scenes as Mrs. Roosevelt, speaking before 8,000 members of the Illinois Federation of Professional and Women's Clubs, urges women throughout the nation to aid the destitute unemployed by co-operating with local unemployment committees in their fund raising efforts." sound of Eleanor Roosevelt speaking. (partial newsreel)
Downloads: 1,403 (1 review)
|'American Day' Fete Biggest Patriotic Meeting In History, 1941/05/20|
"New York, NY: Hundreds of thousands of patriotic Americans jam Central park for 'I Am An American Day' rally, in a dramatic outpouring of faith and allegiance to the U.S. in its gravest hour since 1917." scenes include sound of pledge of allegiance recited. (2) Atlantic City, NJ: Representatives from theatres and film exchanges assemble for the Variety Club Convention, for a gala parade and presentation of the club's award, this year to Dr...
Downloads: 2,455 (1 review)
|Fight Rages On Wallace Appointment,1945/01/25|
Appointment (1) debate over Henry Wallace; (2) WAC Medical Units Needed; (3) Personalities in the News, Maj. Gen. Weidermeier, Maj. Gen. Patrick Hurley and Chiang Kai Shek, Anthony Eden, Churchill; (4) Fire Damages Naval Piers; in Norfolk VA (5) Streamlined Gravy Train; universal feeder for hungry babies in Mass.(6) New Buzz Bomb Gets 1st Test; inspected by H. Ford II. (complete newsreel)
Downloads: 1,013 (1 review)
News in Brief - at Cape Canaveral, Thor Able missile launches Courier satellite that can rebroadcast messages, not just reflect them back like recent Echo; and Courier related a message from Ike to UN (partial newsreel)
Downloads: 1,110 (1 review)
|A coach for Cinderella|
A sign language version of the animated classic "A coach for Cinderella"
Keywords: children; sign language
Downloads: 7,310 (1 review)
|Anzac In Curious Racial Mix-Up, 1933/10/16|
Sydney, Australia: Unusual close-ups of a remarkable human enigma - Ernest Soong Soong Yee, an Australian, born in New South Wales, whose parents died while in China and who was adopted by a Chinese family and brought up as a Celestial. He needs an interpreter to converse with his fellow-citizens in the land of his birth." (partial newsreel)
Downloads: 13,908 (1 review)
|Eisenhower and Johnson on Medicare|
The role of Eisenhower in supporting early proposals for health care and a press conference by President Johnson lobbying for Medicare.
Keywords: Lyndon Johnson; Dwight Eisenhower; Medicare
Downloads: 1,381 (1 review)
|Allies Seize German Loot and Criminals,1945/06/04|
(1) Allies Seize German Loot and Criminals - "With Germany's complete capitulation, her various leaders present diverse pictures as they are forced from their habitats, into surrender. Hermann Goering, Number Two Nazi, seems dazed as all the dangling medals are removed from his broad chest and he is subjected to a blistering press conference with British and U.S. correspondents. Discovery of his vast collection of stolen art treasures at Berchtesgaden, only adds to his discomfiture...
Downloads: 11,393 (1 review)
|Biggest Bomber, 1946/08/15|
(1) "Fort Worth TX: Newest bombing plane stands five stories high, has a range of 10,000 miles with 30 tons of bombs. it is test flown with results 'beyond expectations.'" scenes of the first flight on August 8 of the Convair B-36 'Peacemaker,' the largest Air Force bomber. (2) Brazil Honors Ike - "Rio De Janeiro: Climaxing a triumphal visit to Brazil, General Eisenhower visits Brazil's military academy and reviews its crack corps of cadets." (partial newsreel)
Downloads: 3,442 (1 review)
|First Self Treatment by Haemodialysis 1963 - Dr Stanley Shaldon|
This short movie shows the first patient in the worls traineds to connect himself to the artificial kidney to receive regular treatement for his chronic kidney failure. Without such treatment, he would ahve died.
Keywords: Self Treatment; Chronic Kidney Failure; Haemodialysis
Downloads: 1,069 (1 review)
|Cataclysm. Volcano, Tidal Waves, Devastate Pacific Area, 1960/05/27|
(1) aerial view of Chile, destroyed buildings and cities due to earthquake; tidal waves at 500 mph raced across the Pacific, hit Californai coast, hit Japan, 18,000 lives lost (2) "Sentry Satellite 5,000 Pound Missile Spotter In Orbit" - Atlas missile launched at Cape Canaveral of satellite (no pics of satellite, only of launch)
Downloads: 5,078 (1 review)
|All Nations Shaken By War Crisis, 1938/09/19|
"Washington, DC: In the face of a possible new world conflict abroad, Pres. Roosevelt summons his cabinet officers for a conference on the European crisis. (2) Paris, France: Premier Daladier and Foreign Minister Bonnet fly to London, where they and Prime Minister Chamberlain move to exert pressure on Czechoslovakia to grant Hitler's demands of Sudeten territory annexation. (3) England: Braemer, Scotland, King George cuts short a visit at the colorful Scottish games to rush home for conference w...
Downloads: 4,207 (1 review)
|Cosmonaut. Russian Orbits Globe17 Times, 1961/08/07|
Titov returns from orbit, newspaper headlines, stock footage of rocket liftoff, recording equipment picked up Titov's voice, animation of space craft orbiting earth (partial newsreel)
Downloads: 3,565 (1 review)
|Farmers Arm To Break Picket Line, 1933/11/06|
Downloads: 1,490 (1 review)
|Big Four Turns Down Austria on Tyrol, 1946/06/24|
(1) Council of Foreign Ministers meeting in Paris turned down transfer of Tyrol (2) Vinson new Chief Justice of Supreme Court sworn in on White house portico. (partial newsreel)
Downloads: 981 (1 review)
|At the Summit, 1955/07/18|
(1) Big 4 arrive at Geneva summit conference: Eden, Faur (pronounced "four"), Ike speaks at airport " I come armed with good will of America"; Khrushchev and Bulganin, armillary sphere outside Geneva (2) Chicago air crash killing 22 of 43 aboard (3) Des Moine Iowa visit by Russians to farms (4) Miss Universe parade, led by 1954 Miss Universe Miriam Stevenson (partial newsreel)
Downloads: 1,228 (1 review)